L&L Holding Company approached STUDIOS Architecture to provide Architectural Design services for 114 Fifth Avenue, an 18-story, 350,000-square-foot commercial office building, located on the southwest corner of Fifth Avenue and 17th Street in the Flatiron district of Manhattan. 114 Fifth Avenue was originally known as the Merchants’ Exchange Building when it was completed in 1909. The structure is a contributing building within the Ladies’ Mile Historic District and is therefore treated as a New York City Landmark.
The project scope includes the re-design of the building lobbies, a completely new mechanical system with rooftop cooling towers, new building generator, a new building management office, new building core mechanical equipment rooms and restrooms at each floor, a rooftop tenant amenity space, and “white-box” tenant floor design as a marketing support.
STUDIOS has also completed work for nearly all of the building tenants including Mashable, First Look, AKQA, and Gawker.