STUDIOS worked with Nickelodeon to expand their Burbank campus with a new five-story, 110,000 sf building, a redesigned courtyard, and interior improvements within their original studios.
The creative campus is designed as an open and inviting space where employees feel the freedom and inspiration of an artists’ retreat. The design reflects Nickelodeon’s style and sensibility, outfitted with art and installations to inspire and support creativity, community and a collaborative environment. Each floor features a central trellised “working gallery” that runs the length of the building, providing open space for collaboration and to display work in progress, as well as creating a visual connection between the courtyard and the views of the mountains to the east. Employees can brainstorm on full-height chalkboard, dry erase and magnetic walls, and personalize their workspaces with adjustable desks and cubbies. An on-site rotating art gallery showcases both internal and external artists’ work.
The new 23,000 sf courtyard serves as a connection point between the new and original buildings, and also serves as an outdoor work and event space with full A/V capabilities and art installations.
Additional features include:
- Screening Room: Employees can gather in a new 88-seat screening room.
- Three Voice-Over Studios: A new state-of-the-art recording studio complements the two existing studios.
- Café: Hoek and Stimpson, Nick’s new café located in the lobby of the new building, overlooks the courtyard and offers a place for employees to gather.
- Indoor/Outdoor Connection: Each floor has courtyard-facing break out areas and balconies.
- Health and Wellness: The project includes both a fitness room and a calming Zen garden.
- Music Room, Game Room, Arcade: Employees can play instruments including drums, guitars and piano, or gather for classic games of pinball or air hockey.
- Maker Spaces: Employees are invited to create, broaden their artistic reach and experiment in two artistic play spaces housing traditional and new technologies.