Originally the site of the Fifth Avenue Hotel in 1859, 200 Fifth Avenue later opened in 1909 as an office building. It served as the International Toy Center for over half a century, catering to thousands of toy companies and showrooms. With much of this industry now relocated outside Manhattan, 200 Fifth needed a dramatic transformation to establish it as the premier class A office building in the Madison Square / Flatiron neighborhood.
The creation of a modern, light-filled vertical garden re-establishes what was once a signature feature of this property. A structurally glazed curtain wall provides light and transparency to the newly configured elevator lobbies. Based on tenant demands, minimalist glass and steel bridges were used to connect the west end of this “U” shaped building.
The exterior envelope of the building underwent a complete historic restoration, including window and storefront replacement and new exterior lighting. A sleek new entry lobby with integrated security systems was incorporated, and the architectural language established in the lobby reappears in the details of the new courtyard.
The building is certified LEED Gold for Core & Shell.