Greenfield Partners engaged STUDIOS to transform the former National Hall site in Westport into their new headquarters. The site consists of seven buildings, an adjacent parking structure, grade-level parking and hardscaped plazas and walkways along the Saugatuck River. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984, the site includes the former First National Bank of Westport, the Davis Taylor House built in 1820, and the Vigilant Fire House.
STUDIOS led a complete interior renovation of the National Hall Building and the adjoining building at 8 Post Road West, including a complicated rezoning effort. Interior modifications to create Greenfield’s headquarters include larger connected floor plates filled with natural light, a highly-connected, interactive office space, structural upgrades and modifications to insert a new connecting stair, new MEP systems, and complete interior finishes and furnishings. The design highlights Greenfield’s extensive art collection and provides more collaboration areas for workers, including an elegant cafe/pantry space. A dramatic three-story, glass expansion at the plaza side houses a large conference room and the CEO’s office.
At the base of 2 Post Road, the existing exterior arcade was in-filled and existing storefronts and entrances replaced. This renovated space is now reception lobby and art gallery space for Greenfield and can also function as an event space. The ground level retail space will house a restaurant and fitness center, and is currently under construction. The plaza, which faces the Saugatuck River, was reconfigured with new seating, landscaping and improved waterfront access to make the space usable for Greenfield and the other tenants of the complex. Way finding and parking improvements were also made.