LOCATIONLos Angeles, CA
SIZE70,000 sq ft
CERTIFICATIONLEED Gold CI®
Eataly brings together a variety of food and beverage venues, cafes, retail, a cooking school, and several restaurants—all under the same roof. For their new Century City location, we infused a California aesthetic with their rich palette of responsibly sourced, authentic Mediterranean fare to create a vibrant, mixed-use atmosphere that draws locals and tourists alike.
We created vertical spiral stair connections between floors and strategically located venue structures to create a continuous pathway of exploration, discovery and education that celebrates food, the art of preparation, and those who love it. Lighting and finish materials create a timeless yet modern international atmosphere.
The project is the City of Los Angeles’ first certified gray water reclamation system to collect, treat, and re-use the gray water generated on site.
Each Eataly store across the world has a dedicated theme—the Los Angeles store’s theme is water and its preservation. Eataly has a mission to promote and educate the public about local and sustainable cooking and food sources at each store location. Concerned about the severe drought conditions of Southern California, they dedicated the store’s sustainability mission to water and placed the gray water system at the main entry to educate guests and showcase this amazing technology.
STUDIOS coordinated the system with every component of the store, including curating the piping runs to the weight of the two 5,000 gallon tanks, to working with City Inspectors and the Department of Health that were seeing the system for the first time.
Additional sustainable measures include:
- Reduced potable water by 40%
- Reduced process water by 64%
- Reduced connected lighting power by 46%
- Reduced energy costs by 29%
- ENERGY STAR appliances installed for 77.12% of all eligible appliances by rated power
- 79% of construction waste diverted from landfill
- In addition, the owners received over $130,000 in utility incentives for energy efficiency measures.
Awards and Press
- USGBC Los Angeles Sustainable Innovation Awards, Water — 2018