CLIENTSilicon Graphics, Inc.
SERVICESMaster Planning, New Construction, Interiors
LOCATIONMountain View, CA
SIZE500,000 sq ft
STATUSCompleted 1997 - 2001
Twenty years after its completion, this iconic campus is still a pivotal model for the evolution of the modern workplace for its playful approach to work as something fun and collaborative. Inspired by its core principles of community, collaboration, and enlivening work space, Google acquired the campus in 2006.
We configured the campus’ four buildings to create internal courtyards, connected to one another by glass bridges that underscore the architectural vocabulary and emphasize a sense of community. A multi-purpose amenities building is at the heart of the campus in the main courtyard.
STUDIOS also worked with the City of Mountain View to develop a five-acre public park adjacent to the campus, and encouraged public access through the site as part of a regional pedestrian-trail network.
Awards and Press
- ASLA, Centennial Award — 2000
- ASLA, Centennial Medallion Award — 1999
- City of Mountain View, Mayor’s Award — 1998
- AIA Santa Clara, Honor Award — 1997
- IDRC, Distinguished Environmental Planning Award — 1997
- Lessons Learned: Revisiting Three Major Offices — Architectural Record 2003
- Indelible architectural Statements — Space Magazine 2000
- Silicon Valley Gets Some style — Fortune 1999
- An Instant Landmark in Silicon Valley — World Architecture 1998
- Project Feature — Architectural Record 1998
- Project Feature — Eciffo 1998
- Project Feature — GA Document 1998
PHOTOGRAPHYSteve Whittaker, Tom Fox/SWA Group, Richard Barnes, Aerial by Proehl Studios