CLIENTUniversity of California, Berkeley
SERVICESMaster Planning, New Construction, Interiors
SIZE82,000 sq t
This experimental astronomy and physics building completes the University’s Integrative Physical Sciences Complex, providing highly interactive teaching and research spaces, and ensuring UC Berkeley’s continued preeminence in the physical sciences.
The building sits facing arguably the University’s most significant historical plaza, including three National Register neoclassic buildings and two significant landscape features. We developed a design lexicon for the new building that is at once respectful of these historic structures and also conscious of the university’s mission for student-faculty interaction. The historic core to the east features a pitched tile roof, a primary skin color similar to legacy buildings, punched inset vertical windows, and satin finish metals for trim and accent materials. The west facing elevation opposite the historical core provides a more modern face, integrating a Brise Soleil, a glazed stair tower that offers views across the west campus, and the southwest-facing sixth floor observatory.
Campbell Hall features highly interactive teaching and research spaces, helping to ensure UC Berkeley’s continued preeminence in the physical sciences. The program includes:
- EMI-RF Labs
- Vibration/Acoustic Control Labs
- Temperature Controlled Laser Optics
- Lab support spaces
- Rooftop observatory
- Teaching and Learning Center: 24/7 access to learning resources and three remote observation rooms that provide connections to telescopes around the world
- Cosmology Commons: Part of the Berkeley Center for Cosmological Physics in the neighboring Physics South Building
"New Nobel prizes will be won because of this building."
Mark Richards, Professor of Earth and Planetary Science
The project literally bridges the gap between astronomers and physicists; a new open-air bridge to neighboring historic Physics South Building and the physics department cements that connection.
Awards and Press
- Energy Efficiency Partnership Program, Best Practices Award for Overall Sustainable Design — 2015
- PCBC Gold Nugget Awards, Award of Merit — 2015