CLIENTUniversity of California, Berkeley
SERVICESBuilding Renovation, Interiors
SIZE60,770 sq ft
STATUSCompleted 2006, 2012
Home to the Physics Department and 10 Nobel Laureates—and part of the University’s Integrated Physical Science Complex—this renovated historic classroom and lab building offers exciting, fundamental scholarship at the highest level, as well as the Berkeley Center for Cosmological Physics.
The Integrated Physical Science Complex consists of Old LeConte Hall, the new astronomy and astrophysics building Campbell Hall (also designed by STUDIOS), as well the renovated New LeConte and Birge Hall. The complex facilitates close interaction between students and faculty within the University’s growing interdisciplinary science programs. Old LeConte and Campbell Halls also literally bridge the gap between astronomers and physicists with a new open-air bridge that connects the two buildings.
The historic four-story Old LeConte Hall was designed by renowned architect John Galen Howard and built in 1926. As part of the renovation, we uncovered and restored an original skylight with energy efficient, high performance glass to provide natural light and a focal point for the Berkeley Center for Cosmological Physics.
“[Leconte Hall] stimulates interaction, discussion and collaboration...and inspires the occupants with the beauty and history of the preserved, restored building.”
Judy Chess, Director of Capital Projects